Wednesday, March 7, 2007

New Wine, and a Nutty Treat

I bottled by first ever batch of port wine today, it was supposed to be an orange flavored white dessert wine but turned out to be more of a peach flavour, which I think I prefer so that turned out good.

thew other thing I thought I would share with you all is my invention of non-dairy iced dessert. When I first decided to do this whole Vegan thing I thought I would try the commercial brand of Non-dairy dessert. Namely: So Good.
I made it through one tub, but was slightly disturbed when I read the ingredient list:

Filtered Water, Sugar, Soy Protein, Maltodextrin, Sunflower Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Dextrose, Salt, Mono- and Di-Glycerides, Guar Gum, Sodium Carboxymethyl-cellulose, Locust Bean Gum, Carrageenan, Modified Corn Starch, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Sorbate, Caramel, Artificial Flavour and Colour. May contain traces of peanuts and/or other nuts.

When I saw that Caramel was so far down the list I realized that I was probably ingesting a heck of a lot more Maltodextrin than I probably wanted to. It looks like a disturbing experiment out of a science lab. I quickly decided that was the end of that, who knows what Sodium Carboxymethyl-cellulose might do to my guts and/or brain. I think I would rather take my chances with modified milk ingredients, thank you.

To substitute for ice cream i thought i could just ice a new Nut drink that i recently discovered:

Vegan-Nog:
the other thing I didn't think I could give up was Egg-Nog. But I found an awesome dairy free recipe!

no seriously this is not bad....
it is made from 2 of my favorite munching snacks from pre-veganism: Almonds and Dates, (and some spices).

You make Almond milk and then blend in fresh dates, surprisingly enough they add that "Nogish" touch. To finish on a happy note: the bonus over Eggnog is that you don't get that post-milk mucus. Hurray!!

No comments: