Saturday, March 10, 2007

My First Attempt Telemarking

After waking up to white streets in Rupert yesterday morning, I figured this would be a good weekend to go skiing and maybe my last chance.

So I rose early did my chores, had some fruity greens for breakfast then packed my car and headed for the mountain (Shames Mountain that is).

I really want to learn how to telemark so I bypassed the rental hut and strapped my very out of date telemark gear to my feet and went to stand in line for the chairlift all the while catching a mix of scornful and interested looks at my boots and skis.

My first run did not work out so good, I thought the problem may be that my skis had not been sharpened in my known history of them and also sported some corrosion on the edges.

After making my way down the mountain half standing and half falling on my face whilst my legs got tangled up I went to get my skis sharpened. The rental/sharpening man was quite surprised at how bad they were and since he figured it would take him quite a while to sharpen them, he lent me his telemark skis so I could still go out on the hill. I thanked him kindly and was quite excited to try some gear that was a little bit newer technology not to mention that had sharp edges.

Alas, to my dismay these new skis did not make the going much easier. I guess this whole telemarking sport is a lot harder than regular downhill skiing, which I had picked up quite quickly after just a few runs on my first day out a few years ago. However, do not dismay! I persevered!!

I ran two runs with the loaner skies that I had, then I got mine back with very shiny, and very sharp edges. Back up to the top of the mountain, for a few more rounds of face plants and crossed skis (which always seem to "conveniently" occur with much greater frequency when I am under the chairlift and everyone is watching me).

And now: I am home, with sore legs and tiredness.

Mission Outcome: Many more trips of today's nature are needed before I am trying any back country runs. Until then I will claim the post of photographer and the like on any expeditions I find myself on.

No comments: