Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Fresh Pasta yummy....

Well, I had extra time tonight to make my dinner so i thought I would try out my brand new (to me) pasta maker - straight from Italy! a lucky find at a thrift store last week.

I even got stopped and searched at Airport Security as the X-ray machine operator stated to his counterpart: "we'll search that suitcase," then he looked at me and said with a chuckle "It almost looks like you have a pasta maker in there."
"I do" I said, quite proud of my new kitchen apparatus.
The searching security guard was soon satisfied after checking my pasta maker with a probing 'something detector' it was shaped like one of those mirrors that the dentist has too look at places in your mouth that no human eye has seen prior to the discovery of shiny metal that reflects light.
So anyways, that is the story of how my pasta maker made the trip from an unsuspecting thrift store in the bible belt of the lower mainland to my little hovel.

Back to my exciting recounting of my culinary experiment. Keeping in line with my newly adopted Vegan diet, I dutifully followed a recipe for vegan pasta that i found on the internet. Chickpea flour, white flour and whole wheat flour with a tad of salt and a splash of olive oil. It makes for a yummy way to get your protein rather than a can of beans in your pasta sauce (not a favorite of mine since I have a strong affinity for tomatoes that occasionally drives me to the fresh produce isle at the grocery store with the only purpose of quenching an overpowering craving) so anyways because of that I like to enjoy my tomatoes pure and unspoiled by beans and the like. The pasta maker did a great job of making spaghetti, my favorite pasta shape. After hand cranking the dough through the flattening cylinders I quickly put the fresh noodles in a pot of boiling water and Vuala: fresh pasta in minutes*!!


Disturbing Fact: I am turning into a domesticated housewife... and I'm not even married!!! something hormonal must be happening.....
As Rebbecca would say while assuming the diagnostic posture of a fantasy wizard: "suspiciously interesting....."

*The minutes referred to at the above noted astrix do not include time spent grinding the flour, making the dough, or operating the pasta machine and refer solely to the boiling of the pasta.

Closing statement: It was a yummy dinner.
Now to close the evening right with a glass of red wine by candle light.

No comments: