Monday, March 19, 2007

Arrival in Boston MA

Well, our first half day in Boston is quickly drawing to a close.


After a very random flight delay last night in Grand rapids I headed out the door soon after I had written my post to retrieve a very frustrated Caroline from the Grand Rapids airport. On a positive note, I got the rudimentaries of Grand Rapids navigation down. Long story short, we both travelled to Boston today.

My day started with a 3 hour bus ride from Grand Rapids to Detroit, and then a Taxicab from the Greyhound station to the airport. Lets just say that my first experience with big city cabbies was not a pleasant one. Sensing my innocence of metropolis experience the cab driver, after puling away from the curb, offered me a deal: $60 for the 8 mile trip to the airport. I was somewhat confused as he did have a meter installed. He told me to name my price, I considered for a while and then told him I would pay him no more than $38. To which he replied, with a slight grin, "someone told you what the trip was worth, hey." "No," I replied, "I just don't understand how it can be so expensive for 8 miles." After that experience I am quite glad that Boston was a solid transit system.

Anyways, moving on to more 'not so trivial' details. Upon our arrival in Boston I was happily reunited with my bag (meaning clean clothes and underwear), and we were out of the airport and on the subway with little delay.

My first impressions of the subway station reminded me of scenes in movies: lots of people, bright colours, street musicions and shabbily clad vagabonds. We quickly found our hotel behind the Boston Public Library and were uncerimoniously thrust into a very different world: a professionally dressed host and hostess, elaborite woodtrim decerating the lobby, and a welcoming bowl of fruit on the counter. We wasted little time in dropping off our luggage, the tell tale sign out our tourist state, and head for the streets of downtown Boston; nothing particular in mind.

We found our way through the Public Garden and the Boston Commons, not lush and green as you see in the pictures, but cold with heaps of dirty melting snow and leafless trees lining the busy walking paths. There were also clourfully clothes children taking advantage of the freak snowfall at the local sleding hill.








Nothing more of great intrest. We are back in the hotel and planning for tomorrow.


Random Question of the Day: Caroline was asked if she was from Belgium.

No comments: