Saturday, May 5, 2007

A Night at Logging Camp





The North Coast Forest.









Well I had an awesome sleep last night after spending 2 hard bush days and one night in logging camp. My body is bruised and aching. The bush hiking is a definite workout. Slopes are 100% and covered in mossy and slimy logs.

You can kind of get an idea of what the hillside is like from this picture. You are usually hanging onto branches, roots, or saplings to pull yourself up. It is basically full body hiking. I had a few instances yesterday where I reached out to grab a branch to stable me only to discover that is was actually a leafless stock of devils club. It is beautiful hiking and the forest is full of birds.

Yesterday I even saw a humming bird stick his head out around the side of a tree to see what we were up to and then scoot off.

At the end of the day the helicopter picked us us from the top of the ridge. The view up there was incredible!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Time for a new entry! What's going on these days?

Lori