Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Kingdom of Heaven (NOT the movie)

I have been thinking about life and thought I would share a thought with you all (and maybe even get some feedback...)

I really want land. I want to live a simple life: grow my own food, build a sustainable home, live in community, care for the people and plant/animal communities around me and teach others about making peace with creation.

Yesterday I was listening to a Mars Hill Sermon (April 22, 07) Rob Bell drove home the point that I have heard Rikk Watts say again and again. Heaven is not some place else, heaven is a redeeming of the earth. Heaven is coming here.

This got me thinking about my desires of caring for creation, living simply and living in community. If heaven is a restored and redeemed creation don't my current desires fit into that. Is is possible that dream is not a dream for my life right now, but rather an inner longing and dim reflection of a life that will be realized in all its fullness in heaven (i.e. a redeemed creation). And, that any sort of manifestation of that dream in this life is not a fulfilling of my desires, but rather a sign of the kingdom of heaven; obviously not perfect, but a dim reflection.

If this is the case, where does that leave me? What do I pursue? what do I strive for? How do I live my life in light of that?

3 comments:

Erik said...

Wow, that makes me think...

Anonymous said...

That sounds very sound. Hmmm. Anyway, I think it is good to pursue the desires of our hearts that reflect the ache we all walk around with for a redeemed reality. We need to be cautious, however, knowing that the longing will never be fully satisfied by anything we do on this side of the resurrection. If you get land and do all of those things you long for so deeply, you will still have an ache. The ache will stay with you until you are actualized along with all creation in to what God meant all along; full harmony with our Maker and everything He made.

I'ts a beautiful dream. Why not pursue it? Perhaps, as you do, God will give you more dreams.

See you soon,

Lori

Anonymous said...

haha, you so belong at Calvin College it isn't even funny! Restoration is super cool.

Oh, I watched a really cool documentary/autobiography by Agnes Varda about gleaners in France, and I've decided that we need to go and glean in the Okanogan (is that spelt right? I've nearly lost all knowledge of stuff in Canada) and make jars and jars of canned peaches, applesauce and pickled pears.

-Caroline