Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Careers are Overrated

Think about it. Unless you love what you do and are seriously passionate about it. Do you really want to sell your life to some company for $20/hour, and a one night retirement party after which they all promptly forget about you and you are replaced in 3 weeks time.

Most people work the standard 5 days a week during daylight hours, that is 71% of your days for your whole of your working life (which also often are the years of the most abundant health, raising a family and self discovery and development.

I for one think that is stupid. (Please don't miss understand, that doesn't mean that I just want to sit on my butt all day doing nothing). I want to live, live a full life and find ways to provide for myself doing meaning things that I care about. I want my life and my work to become one, not because I am forced to work evenings and weekends, but because my work is my existence within and experience of my community.

1 comment:

Erik said...

I agree with that.