Monday, July 2, 2007

What's Happened to the Church??

One of my favorite bands, Po' Girl, a folksy band from Vancouver recently put out a new album "Home to You". One of the songs on the disk is called "To the Angry Evangelist" I'll share some of the lyrics with you, the full song lyrics can be found on their website (http://www.pogirl.net)

"Don't sing to me of turning my cheek
Don't sing to me the virtues of meek"

"I'm sick of someday soon things will be better
That creed kept slaves, slaves of my ancestors
Faith it has beauty but not when it blinds us
Blinds us and folds us to crimes of excess
Never to lead but always to follow
Follow sad mad men to shame worse than death"

"Don't sing to me of joy on the other side
Don't sing to me of waiting to die"

(russel - Po' Girl)


as I was listening to it and reading the lyrics I was disturbed at how these women see the modern church, what has happened to us?! Towards the end of the song they talk about what they want out of life - their gospel.

"I want joy in this life, my joy loves company
Don't sing to me that war is our destiny
This is my gospel i hope you'll share it
Stand for each other don't let greed be our measure
Put down your gun and put down your bible
Hold out your hand, we'll build a new temple"

Those things are exactly what I, a card carrying Christian, want in life too!! (except that for me the teachings in the bible have reconfirmed those desires in me)

All of those things (minus the putting down the Bible) is exactly what the bible teaches! That fullness of life is what Jesus came to bring us. Those things are at the heart of Jesus.

Obviously they don't see joy, loving community, caring, and peace in the church. How do we change that? (Quite frankly neither do I a lot of the time, have we lost the heart of Jesus?!)

What has gone wrong in our churches? Where do we go from here?

No comments: